Sunday, September 22, 2013

Quiet Songs in the Hills

I ran into a girl I knew from high school last night. At a titty bar. It's not really surprising, I know, but it was a pretty weird coincidence. See, we're both living in the same small town in North Carolina now. It's like an eight-hour drive from where we grew up, and it's a pretty small town. Not much there, either. Just kinda this dot on the map sorta place, and we both ended up here*.

That wasn't even the coincidental part, though. See, it turns out she's my best friend's sister. I met him when I moved down here, about four years ago. We, my friend and I, became good friends through this I guess you might kinda call it a summer camp I was working and living at.

But whatever. So this girl works down at the one down on 321 as you're heading into Wilkesboro, Club Escape. My buddy and I are going with a mutual friend--it's his bachelor party--and we're just kinda looking for a good time. So my friend suggests this place, cause his sister I guess knew the groom too and they'd had a kinda flirtatious history as he was going through high school. So anyways we get there and--you know it's actually a pretty nice place--we pay the cover, go get some drinks and sit down. A few girls come out and dance and we throw some singles and whatever and then this girl who I'd seen my friend talking to when we first got there comes out and announces a special bachelor's dance and whatnot. This girl comes out and instantly the groom's all dopey in the eyes. I mean, she looks great, don't get me wrong, but you know when you can tell someone's too into a girl, y'know?

And then I take a second look and think "man, this girl looks familiar. I know this girl from somewhere, and damn she looks pretty good." Still couldn't place her though. Eventually the emcee for the show starts dancing too and then like two more girls come out. They pull me and my buddy up and we all start dancing and whatever. My buddy was really uncomfortable with it. But anyway we're all up there, my friend as far on the fringe of it all as you can be, turned with his back facing us and everything. Man it was funny.

We're all up there and this chick comes over to me. I could see it in her eyes that she'd recognized me too. We're right up close to each other and she's looking straight into my eyes, not saying a word, not looking away, and just kind of slowly dancing--she's completely naked now, remember--and, like, studying me. It was intense. Her eyes were this really deep brown, like some really dark gemstone. I know it sounds gay, but it's true. We were there for a good minute, looking at each other and trying to remember. Both of us dancing, and not really thinking about anything but who this other person was.

Well, then the song ended and the groom got this big hug and everything and we all sat back down. I guess I'd kinda gotten real quiet trying to think who she was, and my buddy asked what was wrong. So I told him about it and then he tells me it's his sister and blah blah blah.

So anyways, later on she was out serving drinks and I kinda hummed our school's fight song. She just started laughing and so did I. We got to talking for a bit, about what we've been doing, and, you know.

She's a pretty interesting girl. She's actually a certified SCUBA instructor now, funny enough. She's stripping for fun she says. Which, hey, fine by me.

I guess I probably should have gotten her number or something, but when I knew it was the time to ask I just kinda didn't want to call her. Maybe I'll look her up on Facebook or something. I dunno. I might call her. I just... I can't really explain it.

*She was 18 and her brother was 14 when her mom ran off to the Blue Ride and took them with her. And her brother growing up with her mom's new husband left such an impression on him, my buddy's who I'm talking about here, that he ended up changing his last name to this guy's. So I never knew she had come down here after graduation too.

No comments:

Post a Comment